Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Volume 16 - 24 April 2007

There are some days when all of a sudden you have this tinkling to reconnect to an old friend… no specific reason - just that the person suddenly pops up in your head… on one such impulse on a day not long gone by I spoke to a favorite junior (and, now a friend)…it would suffice to say that I was her super-senior in terms of seniority in engineering…

And, just what was it that she told me that I have to do this retelling? Well, the fact that she had just come back from her farewell party… to me, our farewell party is yet green in my heart… it feels that it was just yesterday that it happened… and here, she was telling me that even she's out of college… why, it was just yesterday when we saw our juniors relish the prospect of doing on to their juniors (including the person in context) what we did onto them… haha.

Time really flies… the irony is that it requires none of the machinations of flight… and yet it manages to outrun even the most fleet-footed.

Most of my friends seem to blessed with the ethereal spirit of exuberant youth (god bless them)… age or responsibility does not bog the spirits down… always eager, always willing - this is something that I find common in all of my friends… and yes, all are first rate self-perpetuating philosophers…God willing we will continue to be so…

When I was young I was devoted big-time to South Indian food… as a matter of fact, I once competed in an 'idli' eating competition and managed 2 nd position… gorged down 32 pieces in 8 minutes… the blighter who came first ate 37… those were the days…when sambar and coconut chutney meant a contented Sunday afternoon.

With my series of adventures with all kinds of vegetarian edibles down south… I am yet to come to a stage when I say – ' I can have no further/ Let it be said I tasted it all'. Seriously, I have tried all the 48 known varieties of Dosa servings… the Apams and the Uttapams along with Sambars (two varieties in prominence – the thick, and the not so thick), Rasam, and of course, the Idlis… I now know (courtesy a friend I made in Chennai) that Rasam - that most of us have first when served, mistaking it's density with that of soup, is actually supposed to be consumed in the end…

Ironically, the best Dosa that I have had till date was in a place maintained by the Army in Arunachal Pradesh, and prepared by a Tibetan refugee… really!… give the place a try if you happen to be driving towards Tawang… if the fellow is still there then the promised quality is assured… by the way, the person-in-charge when I was there was a larger-than-life Jat from Haryana… ;)

Cheers

No comments: