Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Volume 15 - 23 Arpil 2007

I presume that all of us are in our spirited best…

In continuation of my project requirements, the Operations team and me have been to many of the tallest buildings in Hyderabad… and when you look around from the terrace, two things hit you… first, the Deccan rocks. Some of these exposed, single-structure rocks have been dated back to the neo- paleontological periods… I guess over the course of development many such rocks have been quarried away… the few that stand – far and few between – present a beautiful contrast to the rampant urban development around them.

The second thing is a very curious habit or manner that I have observed on more occasions than I can reliably count on my fingers… people use their terraces as litter-bins… anything that can't fit inside the home is disposed off in the terrace… but the best has to be definitely this – throwing off your own rubbish on your neighbor's terrace –what this seems to do is that: one it keeps your house and the road clean, and second, it lets the neighbor know as to who is boss around here…

On another occasion, I saw this young kid run towards the outer wall of his house to relieve himself… just as he was about to indulge, his grandfather came strutting along and directed him towards their neighbor's outer wall… while on the surface, it looks funny… it is not!

The above incidents are similar to the scenery in Delhi when the train enters the state boundaries from Haryana… what is the first thing that you see? Countless people answering nature's call… on one occasion a foreigner traveling with me starting clicking photographs upon seeing this… when I asked him why? He said where else in the world do you get to see such a large-scale open lavatory… and that fellow was from Bosnia – a country that's been fighting a civil war since the time when 'Mahabharat' used to run on Door Darshan and that was like ages ago…

I believe that real progress for our people will come only when we reshape and realign certain basic factors such as these…

Also, yesterday (22nd April 2007) was Earth Day… as they say it's never too late to do anything good… I request all of you to pledge/commit some time or resources or both to make this world a better place… after all, I am sure that we'd all like our own kids to see the clear blue sky, taste fresh spring water, or to climb a tree…

A fellow citizen

No comments: